A Brief History of the Geology-Mathematics-Physics Library
The Geology Department was founded in 1907, and is one of the oldest in the United States. It has had a strong national reputation in paleontology, geomorphology and sedimentology/stratigraphy historically, and more recently in geochemistry. The geology collection was begun as a departmental collection early in the history of the department. The collection was combined with University Library materials and housed with the geography collection in 103 Old Tech in 1951 to form the Geology-Geography Library. Physical geography materials remained with the geology collection in the Geology Library in Old Tech.
The Physics library has served the Department of Physics as a departmental library since 1929. Before that, the physics collection was part of the University General Library. For an interim time of fourteen years, the Physics Library housed the mathematics collection that was moved into separate quarters in 1974. In 1987, the Physics and Geology Departments jointly occupied a newly constructed Geology-Physics Building and three years later the Physics and Geology Libraries merged their collections into a combined Geology/Physics Library.
In 2004, the Mathematics Library was consolidated with the Geology-Physics Library to form the Geology-Mathematics-Physics Library.
Geology-Geography Librarians from 1960-1989:
Ottilia K. Tavender, Dolores Klufoff, Janet Gustke, Richard A. Spohn
Math Librarians from 1974-2004:
Olga Dobur 1974-1979 (Head)
Joyce Pons 1982-1986 (Head)
John Tebo 1990-1993 (Head)
Dorothy Byers 1993-2004 (Head)
Physics Librarian from 1960-1990:
Marianne Wells 1990-1997
Richard A. Spohn 1997-2001
Angela M. Gooden 2001-2004
Angela M. Gooden 2004-2009
Holly Prochaska 2009-