The following is a partial list of the holdings of the archival collections of the Winkler Center. To explore the archives by subject use the Archives Libguide.
For finding guides for these and other archival collections, go to the Ohiolink Finding Aid Repository.
Archival Collections in Alphabetical Order
The son and namesake of a prominent Cincinnati ophthalmologist, Ira A. Abrahamson Jr., M.D., graduated from the UC College of Medicine in February, 1948 and followed with an internship at Cincinnati General Hospital. He conducted a two-year residency at the Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary before joining the armed forces, where he was especially interested in eye surgeries for military personnel whose eyes turned in or out, resulting in double vision and eventual blindness in the deviating eye.
Became an Edward Wendland Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics, as well as Director of the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, at the UC College of Medicine in 1948. He served in these positions until 1975, when he retired as Emeritus Edward Wendland Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics. His research over the years led to the usage of ganglionic blockers in the treatment of hypertension; he also created a national reputation at UC in the field of cardiac and cardiovascular research.
Graduate of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, became the Christian R. Holmes Professor and Chairman of the Department of Surgery in 1952 and served in that position for twenty-six years. His surgical expertise and research led to hundreds of publications on surgical infections and he counted the over one-hundred chief residents which he trained during his tenure with UC as his greatest contributions to medicine. This collection includes materials on his work as a surgeon in Cincinnati, many drafts of his book, reference information on surgical infections, photographs and photographic slides.
Internationally known neurologist, Dr. Aring began his career at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1919 at the age of 15 when he was hired as an "office boy" by Dean Bachmeyer. He graduated from the College of Medicine in 1929 and became the first resident to train in neuropsychiatry in Cincinnati. During his career, he formed two neurology departments, one at the University of California and the other at the University of Cincinnati where he served as professor and department chairman from 1948 to 1974.
Armor, Samuel G., MD (1819-1885) 1 linear foot
Became Chair of Physiology and Pathology of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. He then became Chair of Practice until 1857 when he moved to Dayton, OH. He was known first and foremost as an extraordinary teacher of medicine.
Ascher, Karl (Charles) Wolfgang, MD (1887-1971) 24 linear feet
Became research associate of ophthalmology at the UC College of Medicine in 1939. He went on to serve as Assistant professor of Ophthalmology (1949), Associate professor of Research Ophthalmology (1952), Associate Professor of Ophthalmology (1956), and Associate Professor Emeritus of Ophthalmology (1959). He is best known for his research on the ocular aspects of vitamin deficiencies and his discovery of the aqueous veins.
Askue was a self-taught practitioner of homeopathic medicine and served as a nurse with the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the American Civil War. The collection contains flyers, advertisements, and pamphlets from the 19th century, a multitude of transcribed letters to his wife, books, and realia, such as a beaver top hat, the medical bag Askue used in practice, and ambrotypes of himself and his wife, Flavia.
1911 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Worked at modernizing hospital administration, as well as establishing educational criteria and standards for training hospital administrators. During his time in Cincinnati, he served as Assistant Superintendent of the Cincinnati General Hospital (1913-14) and as Dean of UC College of Medicine (1925-34).
Saul Benison joined the Univeristy of Cincinnati history department faculty in 1961. Over the course of his career as a historian, he built an extensive history and medicine library. His work in medical history earned him awards such as the American Association for Medical History’s William H. Welch Medal for distinguished achievement in medical historiography. He specialized in the history of medicine and science but also prepared memoirs in American social history. In addition, Benison became a distinguished national oral history expert. This collection contains many records from especially from his time as historian for the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis.
Byron M. Branson was born on June 24, 1929 in Guilford, North Carolina, the first child of B. Russell Branson and Bessie Phipps Branson. He graduated from Guilford College, in 1951 and married Wilhelmina Braddock in 1957. Byron worked as a physicist for the U.S. Public Health Service for over 28 years before retiring in 1985. He was a life-long Quaker, a committed social activist, a pacifist physicist, and a devoted father. Branson was a member of Community Friends Meeting for over 45 years. He served on the Board of The Friends Home (Quaker Heights) in Waynesville, Ohio for most of 25 years. He also was a longtime delegate (for the Society of Friends) to the Metropolitan Area Religious Coalition of Cincinnati (MARCC).
Joined the Department of Anesthesiology at the UC's College of Medicine in 1977, serving as the Professor and Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology from 1977 through 2003. He is now Professor Emeritus of the department.
The Cincinnati Branch Hospital for Contagious Diseases was opened in 1879. Fifteen tuberculosis patients at Cincinnati Hospital (now University of Cincinnati Medical Center) were transferred to the new Branch Hospital. In 1912, the Branch Hospital was separated from Cincinnati Hospital and became the Cincinnati Tubercular Hospital. In 1927, Hamilton County took over operation of the hospital. In 1945, the complex was renamed Dunham Hospital in honor of Dr. Henry Kennon Dunham. Due to a decline in patients and public need, Dunham Hospital closed in 1971.
In the autumn of 1876, a dozen physicians practicing in and around Cincinnati formed a society devoted to 'the promotion of knowledge in all that pertains to Obstetrics and Diseases peculiar to men.' Boston had an obstetrical society since 1861, New York since 1864, and Philadelphia since 1868. Thus the Cincinnati Obstetrical Society was the fourth of its kind in the United States.
The "Edison of Medicine," he is most well-known as the inventor of the Clark electrode, a device used for measuring oxygen in blood, water and other liquids. Dr. Clark is considered the "Father of Biosensors", and the modern-day glucose sensor used daily by millions of diabetics is based on his research.
Benison, Saul, PhD (1804-1970) 21 linear feet
1906 Medical College of Ohio Graduate. Shortly thereafter, he started a practice in the small community of Quincy Ohio, where he served as a general practitioner for 34 years until illness forced him to retire in 1940. Dr. Detrick died on March 4, 1941.
1923 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Served as Assistant Professor of Medicine at UC from 1926 to 1930 then became associate professor in 1930. From 1940 to 1962, he was Dean of the UC College of Medicine. He also served as chief of staff of the Cincinnati General Hospital.
Founder of the UC College of Medicine. He graduated from the medical school of the University of Pennsylvania in 1815, and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he became known as a physician and writer. In 1820 he organized the Medical College of Ohio in Cincinnati and secured a State appropriation for its support and that of a hospital. In 1827 he founded the Western Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences, which he continued to edit until 1848. In 1846 he was one of the founding members of the Ohio State Medical Society. He was connected, either as a lecturer or professor, at different times, with Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, the University of Louisville, and Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1935 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Served residencies in Pathology and Radiology at Cincinnati General Hospital. He became Assistant Professor of Radiology at UC in 1945 and continued on as a faculty member until his retirement, serving as Chief of Radiology from 1951 to 1973. In 1983, he was named Professor Emeritus of Radiology, and in 1987, UC established the Benjamin Felson Chair.
Became Professor of Physiology at the Ohio-Miami Medical College from 1910 to 1916, at which time his title transferred over to the newly established UC College of Medicine. Famous for his oratory and lecturing skills, he designed his lecture hall to resemble a 15th Century Italian apothecary shop, complete with stained-glass windows. Upon his retirement, these artifacts were donated to the Center.
Freiberg, Albert Henry, MD (1868 - 1940) 2 linear feet
UC Alumnus. Pioneer in establishing orthopedic surgery as a specialty in this part of the county. He was a faculty member of the Ohio Medical College until 1938, when he became Professor Emeritus of Orthopedic Surgery. He was also a proponent to the merger of the Medical College of Ohio and the Miami Medical College into today's College of Medicine at UC.
Graduate of the Bethesda Hospital School for Nurses in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1922.
First Lieutenant serving in the Dental Corps with the 126th Infantry during World War I. He was born on February 28th, 1890, graduated from the Ohio College of Dental Surgery in 1915, and enlisted in the army shortly after. He served from 1918-1919 and was stationed in various locations throughout France and Germany until he returned home after the war.
Gillespie, William, Sr. MD (1868-1925) 9 linear feet
1890 Alumnus. Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. He was a professor of obstetrics at the UC College of medicine and worked in close coordination with his uncle, Dr. Thaddeus Asbury Reamy. He also became president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1908.
1929 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Performed his residency at Cincinnati General Hospital, where he later became the first resident dermatologist at the hospital and faculty member in the department of medicine and dermatology. He served as Chief of Dermatology and Professor starting in 1947. He is internationally renowned for his work with laser dermatology, which he began in 1961 and is known as the "Father of Laser Medicine."
Good Samaritan Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1866 and is considered the oldest and largest private health care facility in Cincinnati. The hospital continues to flourish and is currently a member of TriHealth, a health system comprised of hospitals operated through the corporations Catholic Health Initiatives and Bethesda, Inc.
Graduated from the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy in 1890, but also attended the Medical College of Ohio while practicing as a pharmacist. He earned his M.D. on April 6th, 1893.
Good, Ralph W., MD (1900-1983) 1 linear foot
1924 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Interned at the Cincinnati General hospital from 1924 to 1925. He practiced surgery for 50 years in Cincinnati, serviing some of this time as Director of Surgery at Deaconess Hospital and as President of the Cincinnati Surgical Society. He gave the first intravaneous anesthetic to a patient in Cincinnati.
Goodyear, Henry M., MD (1889-1988) 3 linear feet
Came to the University of Cincinnati in 1919 with the support of Dr. Christian R. Holmes. He served in the UC Dept. of Otolaryngology for a total of 68 years working as full professor and chairman for the team 1946-1960. He also served as ENT Department Director of Children's Hospital; consultant at Children's Convalescent Home and attending Otolaryngologist/Chief of medical staff at Christ Hospital. In addition, he also served as vice-president of the American Laryngological Society, as well as co-founder and later president of the Cincinnati Otological Society.
Practicing doctor at several Cincinnati-area hospitals, The Deaconess, Good Samaritan, St. Mary's, Bethesda, and Children's Hospitals. She was also a general practitioner.
Collection contains correspondence, materials on the history of the University of Cincinnati Department of Pharmacology and Cell Biophysics and its influential staff members during the collection period.
Hall, Joseph Arda, MD (1872-1940) 1 linear foot
1897 Alumnus, Miami Medical College. Practiced in Troy, Ohio, and later in Cincinnati with his father, Dr. Rufus B. Hall. He became Chief Surgeon of the Ohio National Guard during World War I.
Hamburger, Morton, Jr. MD (1907-1970) 51 linear feet
Completed his residency at Cincinnati General Hospital in 1938, when he joined the faculty of the UC College of Medicine. In 1956 he became Assistant Director of Internal Medicine and in 1958 he became Professor of Medicine. He is well known for his research of infectious diseases.
Harrison, John P., MD (1796-1849) 1 linear foot
Became chair of Materia Medica at the Medical Department of Cincinnati College in 1835 until the school was abandoned in 1839. In 1841, he joined the faculty of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, where he served as professor of Materia Medica, theory, and practice until his death. He also served as vice-president of the American Medical Association in 1849.
Heidt, Robert S., MD 8 linear feet
As a 1943 graduate of UC at age 18, Robert Heidt was the universityâs youngest graduate at the time. He founded Wellington Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine in Cincinnati, one of the largest such groups in the U.S. He performed the first total hip replacement surgery in Cincinnati. His collection includes professional papers and correspondence and a large number of early orthopedic instruments.
Best known for the development of the life-saving technique the Heimlich maneuver, Dr. Heimlich joined the staff of the University of Cincinnati in 1969 as an Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery. He is credited with performing the world's first successful organ transplant and is the inventor of the Heimlich Micro-Trach, the Heimlich lung valve as well as other medical instruments. The Henry J. Heimlich collection contains correspondence, notes, photographs and other items from throughout Dr. Heimlich's illustrious and sometimes controversial career.
Dr. Harold Hiatt graduated from Wilimington Collge, Wilimington, Ohio, in 1943 and later earned his medical degree from the Universit of Cincinnati (UC) College of Medicine. He performed his internship at the Cincinnati General Hospital and later served as the chief of psychiatry at the VA Medical Center in Cincinnati from 1954-1979. At UC, he was appointed associate professor in 1968, full professor in 1974, and became emeritus professor in 1992, when he retired.
He was a master surgeon, one of the very few to be equally proficient in neurologic, thoracic and general surgery. Appointed the first Christian R. Holmes Professor of Surgery at UC in 1922, he established the first resident training program in surgery at the Cincinnati General Hospital in 1923.
Professor at the University of Cincinnati Department of Psychiatry.
1882 Alumnus, Miami Medical College. Completed internship and residency at the Cincinnati Hospital and began working at the hospital in 1886. He was the driving force behind creating the integration of teaching hospital and medical school in Cincinnati. In 1914, his efforts yielded the highly modern and reorganized Cincinnati General Hospital and he was elected dean of the College of Medicine in order to see his efforts toward re-vamping the school come to fruition. After working tirelessly at raising funds for the new school, he lived to see it open in 1918. The Christian R. Holmes hospital, next to the old medical school building, was dedicated in his honor in 1928.
Built in 1929 in honor of Dr. Christian R. Holmes', who died in 1920, Holmes Hospital was established as a private facility in connection with the Cincinnati General Hospital. At Holmes, doctors and professors from the General Hospital and College of Medicine could see and operate on their private patients. Still part of UC Health, Holmes no longer accommodates inpatient procedures. Currently, the hospital houses the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. It also serves as an outpatient office for plastic and reconstructive surgery and houses a sleep lab.
Jackson, Dennis E., MD, PhD, ScD (1878-1980), 30 linear feet
Held the positions of Professor of Pharmacology and Edward Wendland professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics from 1918 to 1948. In 1948, he became Professor Emeritus of pharmacology. He is well known for his research in anesthesia and his development of the closed system of anesthesia with carbon dioxide absorption. In addition, he developed and invented many instruments, pieces of equipment, and experimental procedures dealing with the field of anesthesia.
Distinguished University Professor, George and Elizabeth Wile Chair in Cancer Research at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine's Vontz Center for Molecular Studies. In 2004 he received the Albert Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research for his research on estrogen receptors. His studies on estrogenic hormones revolutionized the understanding of how steroid hormones work, and in doing so he made a major contribution to the treatment of breast cancer.
Collection consists of various hospital records spanning from 1912 to 1980. The archives include photographs, architectural drawings, reports, trustee minutes, by-laws, annual reports and other documents.
1920 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Completed his residency in pathology at Cincinnati General Hospital, worked as a pathologist at Cincinnati General Hospital, then at Jewish Hospital until 1924. He served in the Physiology Dept. at UC, as well as the Dept. of Occupational Medicine, Preventive Medicine, and Industrial Health during the course of his career. His is best known for his support of the anti-knock addictive for car and plane fuel. In 1930, he founded the UC Kettering Laboratory of Applied Physiology, the first university -based laboratory devoted to toxicological problems peculiar to industry. He became Professor Emeritus of Occupational Medicine at UC upon his retirement.
A native Cincinnatian, Levine earned his undergraduate and masterâs degrees from UC and his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University, where he served residencies. He returned to UCâs psychiatry department before doing further training and becoming a faculty member at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. Levine was one of the first psychoanalytically trained psychiatrists in the country to be appointed as a department chair. As well as being deeply involved in local and national professional activities, he was also committed to the Cincinnati community. He was the first administrator at the former Cincinnati General Hospital (now University Hospital) to desegregate his wards and the first to appoint a black resident. His determination to keep psychiatry in the mainstream of daily life made Cincinnati a model in the field of community psychiatry.
Longacre, Jacob James, MD (1907-1977) 2 linear feet
Performed his surgical residency at the Cincinnati General Hospital and practiced plastic & reconstructive surgery beginning in 1946. Became the director of the plastic surgery department at both Christ and Bethesda Hospitals, as well as associate clinical professor of surgery at UC. He also served in various capacities on the staff of the Good Samaritan, Veterans Administrative, and St. Luke Hospitals in the Cincinnati area.
Lyon, Robert A., MD (1900-1977) 2 linear feet
1925 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Performed his pediatrics residency at the Cincinnati General Hospital. He taught pediatrics at UC for 48 years, eventually becoming Emeritus professor of Pediatrics. He founded or helped to found the following group in the Cincinnati area, the Division of Neonatology at the Cincinnati General Hospital, the Children's Heart Association, the Children's Dental Care Foundation, the Child Health Association, the Adolescent Clinic of the Children's Hospital Medical Center, the Cincinnati Health & Science Museum (now part of the Natural History Museum), and various rural cardiac clinics in Southwestern Ohio.
Medical illustrator who trained at Johns Hopkins University Department of Art as Applied to Medicine. While there, she studied under Max Brodel who is commonly thought of as the father of modern medical illustration. After school Maciel spent most of her career in Cincinnati.
1936 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Faculty member and administrator at the VA Medical Center, Cincinnati, from 1965 to 1980. He was also medical director of the American Red Cross in Cincinnati and the first president of the nation's first organized group of general physicians, the Cincinnati Society of General Physicians. He was a recipient of the Daniel Drake Award from the Southwestern Ohio Society of General Physicians.
Mills, Clarence A., MD, PhD (1891-1974) 2 linear feet
1922 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Became Associate Professor of Medicine at UC in 1928, and then Professor of Experimental medicine in 1930, a position he held until his retirement in 1962. He is best known for his research on the effects of air pollution and climate on health, and his efforts led to the first smoke laws invoked in Cincinnati in 1946.
Mills, George W., MD (1889-1971) 2 linear feet
Brother of Dr. Clarence A. Mills, who practiced medicine in the small town of Wall, South Dakota, for over 50 years and also served 22 years as a representative in the South Dakota House of Representatives.
Mussey, Reuben Dimond, MD, LLD (1780-1866) 1 linear foot
Accepted a position as Professor of Surgery at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, in 1838. He then accepted the Chair of Surgery at Miami medical college in 1852. In addition, he was a founder and president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1857, as well as being elected the fourth president of the AMA in 1850.
1865 Alumnus of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. Became Professor of Anatomy at that college in 1865, then chair of chemistry and pharmacy in 1869 and finally Professor of Materia Medica from 1874 until his retirement in 1898. He also served as President of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1885.
Though not the offical records of the organization, the materials herein gathered contain annual meeting programs and correspondence about the meetings. In addtion, the collection contains many materials related to one of its memebers, C. G. Barber, e.g., publications, abstracts, etc.
This collection consists of photographs, memorabilia, awards, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and a scrapbook documenting the personal life and professional career of Dr. Lucy Orintha Oxley, a beloved family medicine doctor and general practitioner in Cincinnati, Ohio. Lucy Oxley was the first African American to graduate from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1935.
Reamy, Thaddeus Asbury, MD, LLD (1829-1907) 9 linear feet
Became the professor of obstetrics, gynecology and pediatrics at the Medial College of Ohio, Cincinnati, in 1871. He was also elected president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1881. He was a pioneer of obstetrics and in 1874 he established the first Women's Hospital west of the Allegheny Mountains in Cincinnati. The hospital was later to be absorbed by Bethesda Hospital. His efforts also led to the first combined residency of obstetrics and gynecology in Cincinnati, as well as the first successful obstetric clinic in the country.
16th resident surgeon trained by Dr. William Stewart Halsted at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, serving in that capacity from 1918 to 1921. He moved to the University of Cincinnati with Dr. George J. Heuer in 1922 to serve as his associate. In 1931, he became the second Christian R. Holmes Professor and Chairman of the Department of Surgery at the University of Cincinnati when Dr. Heuer left for Cornell University. Under his leadership, the Department of Surgery at Cincinnati became known throughout the country as one of the outstanding clinics in graduate surgical education. In 1939 he was offered the Surgical Chairmanship at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, a position he declined because of his dedication to Cincinnati, its medical school, and the school of surgery that he had developed there. His premature death in 1943 was a great loss to the medical and general communities and the flag on the City Hall of Cincinnati was flown at half mast.
Ritschel, Wolfgang A. , MD, PhD (1933-2010)
Professor Emeritus of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics at the University of Cincinnati Winkle College of Pharmacy and Adjunct Professor of Pharmacology at the College of Medicine. He was internationally renowned for his scientific contributions in pharmacokinetics, a discipline that studies the distribution and disposition of drugs in the human body and was the author of the pioneering âHandbook of Basic Pharmacokinetics.â Dr. Ritschel was indeed a true âRenaissance Manâ with remarkable career accomplishments in science and art. His artwork includes unique assembly sculptures of medical, and scientific themes using of discarded stainless-steel medical instruments and stained-glass elements.
The subject matter of the collection centers on the auto-suture devices and surgical stapling techniques that were primarily designed by Robert Rothfuss during his time as the Head of the Department of Development and Research at Ethicon.
Researcher and scientist best known for his discovery of the live polio vaccine. His work is documented in over 350 scientific papers, and includes research on pneumonia, encephalitis, toxoplasmosis, viruses, sandfly fever, dengue and cancer. Winner of the Lasker Prize. Other online resouces include the digital collection and finding aid addendum.
Professor and physician at the University of Cincinnati. A graduate of Harvard University, Saenger was a pioneer in radiation research and nuclear medicine He is best known for the whole-body radiation experiments he conducted on cancer patients during the 1960s and early 1970s.
Seton Hospital was created through a partnership between the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati and the Eclectic Medical College. As described in Harvey Wickes Felter's book History of the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1845-1902, Seton Hospital was "constructed at an expense of $90,000,...and is located at 640 West Eighth Street, near Cutter. The building, a large stone-front structure, is located on a lot fronting sixty-three feet on Eighth Street, and running two hundred feet through to Ninth Street, thus giving a double street frontage and excellent light and ventilation." The hospital operated in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati until 1925, when it merged with Good Samaritan Hospital.
Siler, Vinton Ernest, MD (1909-1971) 3 linear feet
1934 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. He interned for one year at the Cincinnati General Hospital, then was a surgical resident the next 6 years under such noted surgeons as Dr. Mont Reid. He stayed at UC as a faculty member, rising to the positions of Assistant professor of Surgery in 1943 and Professor of Surgery in 1961. He also helped found the Mont Reid Surgical Society and was its president from 1960 to 1963.
The Southwestern Ohio Society of General Physicians (SOSGP) was founded in 1949 and was a regional chapter of the Ohio Academy of General Physicians (OAGP), which was a regional chapter of the American Academy of General Physicians (AAGP). Eventually, the organizational name would change to the Southwestern Ohio Society of Family Physicians (SOSFP) along with the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
1921 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Completed his internship and residency at the Cincinnati General Hospital. He worked as a staff physician for the Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati form 1925 to 1937 at which time he joined the faculty of UC and progressed from Assistant to Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine. He received a Fellowship form the American College of Physicians in 1934 and board certification in Internal Medicine in 1937. His greatest field of endeavor was diabetes, and in 1941, he founded and became the first president of the American Diabetes Association. In addition, he served as President of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati (1951-1952), President of the Ohio Society of Medical History (1960), and the presiding officer of the UC College of Medicine Alumnal Association (1961).
Former Senior Vice President at the University of Cincinnati and Director of the UC Medical Center for over seven years. After stepping down as Director of the Medical Center, Dr. Troup became a professor of medicine at the University of Cincinnati until 1998 and continued teaching for several years as a professor emeritus.
This collection contains research materials on the history of the University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy collected by Dennis B. Worthen in order to write the book Pharmaceutical education in the Queen City: 150 Years of Caring, draft manuscripts of which are included in the collection. Large portions of the collection are photocopies of original materials with marginalia by Worthen and/or his co-author, Micheal A. Flannery.
The history of University Hospital goes back to the founding of the Medical College of Ohio in 1819 by Dr. Daniel Drake. With Drake's support the city of Cincinnati approved the establishment of Commercial Hospital and Lunatic Asylum in 1821. The name was legally changed in 1861 to Commercial Hospital of Cincinnati and again in 1868 to Cincinnati Hospital in 1869 when construction was completed on a new, larger structure. In 1915 another new structure was built by the city and the hospital was renamed Cincinnati General Hospital. In 1960 the University of Cincinnati was given executive control of Cincinnati General Hospital and renamed it University Hospital in 1982. The name was changed to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center in December of 2012.
Wagner, Edward A., MD (1888-1976)
1909 Alumnus, Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati. He established and served as Director of the Dept. of Pediatrics at Good Samaritan Hospital. He also served as Director of the Premature Department at Cincinnati General Hospital and as Associate Professor of Pediatrics at UC. He also served as President of the Cincinnati Pediatric Society. He was an international expert on croup and premature birth.
Pioneer of the science of prenatal health. His research on nutritional and environmental health of of gestating mothers changed the way the medical world looked at prenatal care.
Weiss, Hiram Bertram, MD (1890-1982) 5 linear feet
1915 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. During his career in Cincinnati, he served as Professor of Medicine at UC, President of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati and also President of the Medical Staff and Director of Internal Medicine at Jewish Hospital. He was a co-founder of the Society of Internal Medicine of Cincinnati. His archives collection includes patient records of veterans who served in WWI.
Wherry, William Buchanan, MD (1874-1936) 1 linear foot
Pathologist who discovered the disease tularemia. He came to Cincinnati as Assistant Professor of Pathology in 1909, becoming full Professor of Bacteriology in 1912. Wherry Hall was dedicated at the UC Medical Center in his honor in 1957.
Well known in the Pharmacy field as an educator, is an innovator and a publisher. Mr. Whitney was educated at the University of Michigan where he received his bachelors and masters of science. It was at the University of Michigan Hospitals and Medical Center that he served his internship and residency in pharmacy from 1959 through 1961. Harvey Whitney, the educator, has had a key role on a national and local level in the development of the pharmacy technician program. At the University of Cincinnati, we can also thank him for his contributions to the development of the PharmD program. In his role as publisher and editor, he has been responsible for over 25 newsletters, journals and books and is the President, Publisher and editor of Harvey Whitney Books Company.
Whittaker, James T., MD (1843-1900) 1 linear foot
1867 Alumnus of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. Became professor of physiology at that college in 1870, the professor of clinical medicine in 1871. Finally, he was professor of practice from 1879 until his death in 1900. Some of his greatest efforts dealt with research of the disease tuberculosis, and he was the first American student of the famous German physician/scientist Dr. Robert Koch.
Military medicine - IN PROCESS
Wright, Marmaduke Burr, MD (1803-1879) 1 linear foot
Helped revitalize hospitals throughout Ohio to incorporate a more advanced and humane system of caring for the insane. He became Professor of Materia Medica at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati in 1838. He served as chair of Obstetrics at that institution from 1840 to 1850; then again from 1860 to 1868 at which time he became an emeritus professor at his own request. He served on the Ohio State Medical Society committee of Medical Ethics in 1854 and was well known for his integrity and principles. He served as Dean of the College of Medicine the following terms 1842-1843, 1847-1848, 1860-1862 and 1867-1869.