All University of Cincinnati Libraries locations will be closed Monday, May 30 in observance of Memorial Day. Regular library hours for all locations will resume Tuesday, May 31. Have a safe holiday.
Archives and Rare Books Library
The Archives and Rare Books Library (ARB) acquires, processes, preserves, and provides access to the University's Rare Books collection, University Archives, Local Government records, Urban Studies collection, and German-Americana collection. These primary source materials support the research and teaching mission of the University of Cincinnati, as well as those of the general public.
- The Archives and Rare Books Library is open by appointment only from Tuesday through Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm.
- The Archives and Rare Books Library is located on the 8th floor of Blegen Library on the University of Cincinnati’s uptown west campus.
- For assistance booking an appointment and more information, contact the library at firstname.lastname@example.org or (513)556-1959.
- Currently only two researchers may be in ARB at one time, and appointments are scheduled in four hour blocks.
The Archives and Rare Books Library is committed to providing the best possible service to all its patrons. The library prefers to receive inquiries via email to email@example.com as this ensures that we have important information, such as the correct spelling of last names and how best to contact you. We can also be reached at (513)556-1959
We respond to questions in the order in which they are received. Our average response time is currently 5 business days. We appreciate your patience.
Note, complex research questions that require extensive staff resources cannot be accommodated currently. However, the reading room is open for you to conduct your own research. Additionally, if you are unable to visit us yourself, we may be able to provide you with a short list of independent researchers for your consideration.
- The Archives and Rare Book Reading room is by appointment only. When making an appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org, please complete the on-line registration form that will be sent with your appointment confirmation.
- Once you arrive, please check in at the front desk by providing a picture ID. This ID will be held at the desk and returned at the end of your appointment.
- Place all personal belongings in the lockers provided. No bags, purses, briefcases or laptop cases are allowed in the reading room at any time.
- Paper, pencils, and laptops are allowed in the reading room. Pens are not permitted.
- Staff may provide handling recommendations and requests for example, gloves are required when working with photographic collections and are provided.
- Food and drinks are not permitted.
- Cell phones should be placed on silent or vibrate.
- Non-flash photography is permitted.
By: Alex Temple, ARB Archivist The University of Cincinnati Archives & Rare Books Library is very fortunate to have received a large collection of the work of civil rights lawyer Al Gerhardstein. The collection represents nearly 40 years of cases … Continue reading
In order to address ongoing delivery issues with OhioLINK materials, the University of Cincinnati Libraries, along with the other college, university and public libraries in Ohio, is changing the OhioLINK delivery provider. There are three important points that impact OhioLINK … Continue reading
Contact and Address
Archives & Rare Books Library
8th Floor Blegen Library
P.O. Box 210113
2602 McMicken Circle
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0113