Return To Campus
Library Service Updates
With the return of students to campus for fall semester, the Libraries are preparing our facilities, services and access to collections. Library services and access may be adapted in accordance with current and changing safety guidelines.
Facial Coverings: Given the most recent developments with the virus, and in keeping with new guidance from the CDC, the university requires all individuals, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, to wear a facial covering indoors. This applies to all library locations.
For up-to-date university information regarding Covid-19 - https://www.uc.edu/publichealth.html
Important Online Links
- As of August 2, library locations have opened and are available for use. The availability of certain services and spaces within each library may vary by location. Hours and specific library location information are listed on the website.
- Users are encouraged to maintain social distancing and must follow current university safety protocols outlined on UC’s Public Health Website.
- In addition:
- Tables and chairs should not be moved or reconfigured so as to ensure social distancing.
- All users are encouraged to clean their table and chair upon leaving. The library advises that all users consider a wipe-down upon arrival to their seating location as well. Cleaning supplies will be provided.
- Consumption of food and drink should occur when seated. Please note that some library locations continue to prohibit food and drink.
- Public computers and labs located within library facilities are available with social distancing measurements and cleaning protocols in place.
- Library spaces and services may be adapted in accordance with safety guidelines.
Requesting Library Materials
Access to Print Collections
- Service desks and library stacks re-opened August 2. This re-opening includes the previously closed floors of the Walter C. Langsam Library and the Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library.
- The Click & Collect retrieval and pickup service ended on August 2.
- Course Reserves resumed August 2.
- Regular, pre-pandemic loan rules and borrowing periods have resumed.
- Summer semester loans continue through August 31.
Access to Online Library Resources
- Access to licensed online library resources (whether on or off campus) requires user authentication by logging in with a UC username + password and Duo Two Factor authorization.
This means: When you are accessing library resources via the Library Catalog or website, you will be prompted to log in. You need to authenticate even if you have the VPN on. You no longer need to log in via the “Off Campus Access” button, and the “Off Campus Access” page has been eliminated.
- More information on accessing online licensed library resources and help with troubleshooting problems is available at the Access Library Resources : FAQs.
- Over the summer, the UC Libraries updated its proxy service. URLs for licensed online resources have been updated. If you try a link and it doesn’t work, scroll down to “Authentic/Proxy Link Troubleshooting.”
- For assistance updating or generating a link, use the proxy link generator or proxy link converter.
Library Location Information
Detailed facility, service and contact information for specific library locations is available on library web pages.
Key Info on Library Resources & Services
- Use our online Chat service available 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday, to connect with UC Library Staff.
- Contact us through these online forms.
- You can also contact your college or program’s Subject Specialists for assistance.
- Ask A Reference Question - Need help with locating resources, or help with a topic? Contact a Librarian for assistance.
- Ask A Circulation Question- Have a question about circulation: renewals, fines, borrowing- ask here.
- Library users can request OhioLINK materials for pickup at Langsam, UCBA, HSL and Law through the OhioLINK catalog. Building entry restrictions at HSL and Law will limit these pickup locations to only those with ID card access to the building.
- Through Interlibrary Loan (ILL) library users may request print books and electronic copies of articles and chapters from books not held by UC Libraries. The pickup location for print materials will be Langsam Library only for west campus.
Items requested from SWORD (Southwest Ohio Regional Depository) will be sent to Langsam Library only for pickup. Please note - SWORD will initially appear as the pickup location at the time of request, but will change to Langsam as the request is processed.
- UC Libraries supports faculty and instructors to integrate information literacy into courses and empower students as they develop their research abilities.
- For the foreseeable future, this support will occur 100% online, including library instruction, orientations, and workshops.
- To learn more about instruction from UC Libraries in your subject/college, check out our teaching support page.