The mission of the University of Cincinnati Libraries is to empower discovery, stimulate learning and inspire the creation of knowledge by connecting students, faculty, researchers and scholars to dynamic data, information and resources.
In pursuit of our mission, we believe that libraries should be places for inquiry, deeper thought and the open exploration of ideas. UC Libraries offers broad access to information, spaces for study and collaboration, and research services for all - regardless of political, socio-economic status, basis of disability, institutional affiliation, race, religion, country of origin, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.
Through our role as open information providers, the libraries help to create an informed, educated and enlightened community. We provide access to resources and information professionals that enable people to educate themselves on how to contribute to meaningful change. We stand against discrimination of any kind. It is imperative that we contribute to efforts to address and end systemic racism.
Tenets – We practice the following in pursuit of our mission and vision.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We value, celebrate and promote diversity, equity & inclusion in our workforce and in the communities we serve. Our services, resources and collections reflect the diversity of the world and highlight marginalized and previously unseen communities.
- Allyship - We are allies. We recognize the obligation to understand, recognize and use our privilege to benefit those who lack it. We utilize our resources to create opportunities for empowerment and learning and to advocate for creative ways to embrace differences and stand in solidarity against unfair practices to all marginalized groups. We act and intervene.
- Lead – We are leaders on campus and in the library profession, guiding initiatives that advance the academic pursuits of students, faculty, researchers, scholars and library colleagues.
- Partner & Collaborate – We partner and work collaboratively with students, faculty, researchers and community and professional organizations to include diverse skill sets and perspectives in connecting and enabling all users to achieve their greatest potential in their academic pursuits.
- Learn – We are seekers of new knowledge and skills that empower us in changing the current and future library landscape.
- Teach – We impart knowledge. Every member of UC Libraries is a teacher, guiding the university community in utilizing library resources, increasing the information literacy of our users and advancing the skill sets of ourselves and our colleagues.
- Build & Steward – We collect, provide, protect and preserve the scholarly record and intellectual output of the university and community of scholars as we responsibly manage the scholarly record, library collections and research data of the university.
- Innovate & Explore – We seek new, creative and cutting-edge practices, workflows and technologies to deliver library services, collections and programs to users anytime and anywhere. We try new things, embrace change, take risks, and when necessary, change and modify course in pursuit of our mission.
- Thrive – We seek to enhance the quality of life for everyone with whom we connect. We seek to bring well being and stability to ourselves and to our community of learners. We actively demonstrate unity and respect to our colleagues, faculty, students, researchers and scholars worldwide as we work with each other.
- Transform – We embrace our mission, vision and tenets as our guideposts as we work to transform ourselves, the library landscape and the teaching, clinical and research endeavors of the university.
By focusing on these tenets, we not only achieve our vision to become the globally engaged intellectual commons of the university, but we also bring well-being and stability to ourselves and to our community of learners. It is imperative that we demonstrate both unity and respect to our colleagues, faculty, students, researchers and scholars worldwide as we work with each other.
Finally, UC Libraries follows the ALA Code of Ethics, which states: “We significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information. In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, we are members of a profession explicitly committed to intellectual freedom and the freedom of access to information. We have a special obligation to ensure the free flow of information and ideas to present and future generations.” American Library Association Code of Ethics.
We do not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
UC Libraries is and always will remain dedicated to open access to all seeking knowledge and enlightenment.