Records Transfer and Disposal Procedures

Using the General Records Schedule, or a unique approved records retention schedule for your area, records eligible for transfer to University Archives or destruction are identified in the last column on the right-side of all schedules. Complete a Certificate of Records Disposal each time records are disposed. University shredding events are currently conducted by the Office of Information Security.   

No records may be disposed by any means without reference to the General Records Schedule, or a unique approved records retention schedule for your area.

No records may be disposed when there is an order or notice for legal discovery or subpoena, regardless of the retention assigned to the item. Records subject to discovery must be maintained in the office of record until released by the court.

The Ohio Revised Code addresses the destruction of records:

A) All records are the property of the public office concerned and shall not be removed, destroyed, mutilated, transferred, or otherwise damaged or disposed of, in whole or in part, except as provided by law or under the rules adopted by the records commissions provided for under sections 149.38 to 149.42 of the Revised Code or under the records programs established by the boards of trustees of state-supported institutions of higher education under section 149.33 [original link path:] of the Revised Code. Such records shall be delivered by outgoing officials and employees to their successors and shall not be otherwise removed, transferred, or destroyed unlawfully.

Transfer of Records to the University Archives

Records identified as "Transfer to University Archives" in the last column of the General Retention Schedule or a unique approved records retention schedule must be transferred to University Archives, located in Blegen Library.

First Steps for Paper and Electronic Records

Please contact UC Records Management via email 1-2 weeks prior to the date you wish to transfer records. Adequate lead time will allow staff to be fully prepared to receive transfer of materials.

Paper Records

  • Transferring offices can send paper records via interoffice mail, or pre-arranged staff drop-off to the 8th floor of Blegen Library.
  • Large volumes of paper records should be packed into records cartons. Do not remove from file folders.
  • Transferring offices should prepare a simple list of files in each box. This does not have to be a complete list of files, but should include basic information on the contents of each box (For example, "Security Policy Committee Minutes, 1998-2004").

Electronic Records

  • If you have a small number of electronic files (e.g., less than 2 GB total), you may upload them through a special designated OneDrive folder, which only requires your 6+2 login. Contact UC Records Management for more information.
  • If you have a large number of electronic files (e.g., greater than 2 GB total), it is best to schedule a brief phone call or in-person meeting with the Records Manager to arrange for transfer of records. Options for transfer of larger files include transferring files on removable media (e.g., an external hard drive or USB drive), network transfer, or cloud transfer. The Records Manager will meet with you to discuss the best option for your files.

Destruction of Records

Retention rules apply to both paper and electronic records. In general records can be destroyed when the following conditions are met:

  • the retention period has passed as listed on the schedule;
  • the disposition on the schedule is marked, "Destroy"; and
  • there is not an ongoing legal hold or discovery request from General Counsel.

If the records are marked as, "Archive" they must be transferred to University Archives. Do NOT destroy. If you have records that are not listed on the schedule, please contact UC Records Management.

Please download, fill out, and save a Certificate of Records Disposal for records whenever you shred/purge/destroy records. A copy of the form should be sent to Records Management (an emailed PDF attachment is acceptable), or sent via interoffice mail to ML 0113). A copy is maintained in the files of the University Records Management Program for the Department.

If you have not filled out a certificate of disposal before, you can review this example.