The University of Cincinnati Libraries offer many ways to create and access digital resources in a variety of spaces across campus.
STRC - Student Technology Resources Center
Langsam Library, Fourth Floor
The STRC is a student-centered service area designed to provide instructional technology resources and services to assist students who require specific software or equipment to complete course assignments. In the STRC, students are able to:
- Design Web pages using Dreamweaver, MS Publisher, or html
- Convert one format to another (photo to digital photo, etc.)
- Create CDs or DVDs
- Scan images and work with Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, MS imaging
- Create presentations in PowerPoint or Flash.
- Work with technology for digital video editing
- Receive assistance in preparing Electronic Theses and Dissertations
Programs available: Photoshop, Bridge CS5, Media Encoder, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Catalyst, Flash Professional, Illustrator, InDesign, LiveCycle Designer. In the editing suites: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Encore
Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are recommended for larger projects such as non-linear digital editing. The hours for the STRC are available online.
The STRC is funded in part by Information and Technology Instructional Equipment fees.
Contact: Jay Sinnard, STRC Operations Manager, (513) 556-1468
A Collaborative Space for Innovation at the Health Sciences Library
Health Sciences Library
The Informatics Lab is designed for innovative and collaborative hands-on learning experiences. It is a place for UC researchers and graduate students to connect, collaborate, and receive research support services.
To reserve the room fill out the form at http://med.uc.edu/comlibraries/informatics-lab-form/. With any other questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The primary audience for the space is faculty and graduate students at the UC Academic Health Center.
Technology and Software
Windows 7:Office,Skype, SPSS,SAS,R, RStudio, Matlab,Cytoscape, ArcGIS, QGIS, GeoDA, TerraGO Toolbar, Satscan, EpiInfo, 7zip,Notepad++,Python + scipy + NumPy IGV,MySQL Workbench, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, InDesign, InCopy, Dreamweaver, FlashPro/Builder, Acrobat Pro, Audition, Bridge, Animate, Prelude, Fireworks)
OSX:Office, Skype, SPSS, SAS, R, RStudio, Matlab, Cytoscape,QGIS, GeoDA, TerraGO Toolbar, Satscan, EpiInfo, TextMate, The Unarchiver, Python + scipy + NumPy IGV, MySQL workbench, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, InDesign, InCopy, Dreamweaver, FlashPro/Builder, Acrobat Pro, Audition, Bridge, Animate, Prelude, Fireworks)
Equipment: 2 iMacs,2 PCs,1 AirMedia unit for wireless presentation from any mobile device,4 whiteboard tables, 2 standing whiteboards, 1 wall-mounted white board
Policies and Guidelines
- To reserve this room, contact us at email@example.com. Let us know if you need the whole space, the iMac, or the Windows PC and the requested time. A web form will be available in the future for reservations.
- Informatics Lab is open to the UC students, faculty, and staff. The highest priority is given to UC AHC faculty, staff, and graduate students.
- Due to the unique and specialized equipment available in the Informatics Lab, recurring and repetitive reservations are limited so it may serve a wide range of groups within the AHC.
- A minimum group of three individuals is required to reserve the entire room. Individuals can reserve the computers.
- Faculty, staff, or graduate students may reserve the room for two hours at a time. It is possible to reserve two, two-hour timeslots for longer projects or meetings.
- If this room is not used within 20 minutes of the scheduled reservation start-time, it is considered vacant and will be available to others on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Based on interest and use, we plan to expand this space with more equipment and programs.
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 AM - 5 PM
Food and Drink: Items for personal consumption (e.g. drinks or snacks) are allowed, but formal, catered events are not permitted.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each library has computer available for students to use. Below is a listing of the various computer labs.
CECH Computer Lab
Hardware: 12 computers (2 are Mac), 2 scanners, black and white laser printer, color laster printer, 4 virtual computers on the 4th floor dedicated to Articulate Storyline, 2 study rooms with monitors/Apple TV, 1 study room with Smartboard, Smartboard in the Production Lab, Classroom with 6 individual stations and 1 teacher station
Software: Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Adobe Dreamweaver CS6, Adobe Fireworks CS6, Adobe Flash Professional CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6, Adobe InDesign CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6, ArcCatalog 10, ArcGlobe 10, ArcMap 10, ArcScene 10, Audacity, HLM 6.06, IBM SPSS Statistics 20, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Expression Blend 4, Microsoft Expression Design 4, Microsoft Expression Encoder 4, Microsoft Expression Web 4, Microsoft Office Suite 2010 including: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Project and Publisher, Microsoft Visio 2010, Mindview 4.0, Mozilla Firefox, NetBeans IDE 7.2, Notepad ++, NVIVO 10, R i386 2.15.1, SMART Notebook 11, StataSE 12, vAlice3_1, vEclipse 32, Vkbpro
Contact: Elaine Ignatius email@example.com
DAAP Computer Lab
Our lab consists of 14 Apple iMacs, each of which is running OSX 10.8.4 & is equipped with the Adobe CS6 Design suite as well as Microsoft Office, and software/plugins including Keyshot, Autodesk products (Maya, AliasAutomotive, and SketchbookPRO).
8 of our iMacs are 21.5” monitors, three of which are connected to Epson scanners. 6 iMacs are 27” monitors. 5 are attached to Epson scanners. B&W printing only in the DAAP Library.
Contact: Jen Krivickas
HSL Computer Lab
Health Sciences Library
90 seat computer lab
Hardware: 91 Computers (66 Dell Optiplex 790, 12 Dell Optiplex 7010, 8 Dell Optiplex 780, 5 Printer Release Stations (Dell Optiplex 755))
5 Printers (4 HP Laserjet 602dn, 1 HP Color Laserjet 4700dn), 5 Epson Perfection V200 scanners, 1 Nikon LS-2000 slide scanner, 1 Crestron Airmedia unit (to be installed 2/14)
Software: Microsoft Office 2010 (Access, Excel, InfoPath Designer, InfoPath Filler, Picture Manager, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word), Adobe Acrobat Reader and Pro, Flash Player, Shockwave Player, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Java Plugin, MacAfee, Quicktime Player, SAS, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Silverlight, Turningpoint, QuestionMark Secure Browser, Citrix Online Plugin, Epson Scanning software, Histology Image Review, Neurolab, Nutrition in Medicine, RALE Lung Sounds, RASWIN, Cardiac Auscultation, Dermatology, Pharm-Cardio
Contact: Peter Poulos
Info Commons at the CEAS Library
College of Engineering and Applied Science Library
Hardware: 16 Computers + 1 Public Printer
Info-Commons has a Scanner and a large Whiteboard for collaboration. 10 unassigned seats provide electric outlets for laptop users.
Software: MS Office, Remote Application (Virtual Workstation) to MATLAB and Mathematica, Internet Browsers
Hours: Info-Commons is open 24 x 7. After CEAS Library hours, it is available to CEAS students, staff, and faculty via card swipe.
Contact: 513-556-1550 or Ted Baldwin
Elze L. Schulze Info Commons at the Chemistry-Biology Library
Hardware: 26 Computers + 1 Public Printer
Info-Commons has a Photocopier and Scanner.
Software: MS Office, Internet Browsers, specialized chemistry software (ChemDraw, Gaussian, Spartan).
Hours: Info-Commons is open 24 x 7. After Chem-Bio Library hours, it is available to graduate students & faculty in Chemistry and Biology via card swipe.
Contact: 513-556-1498 or Ted Baldwin
Data & GIS Collab
Geo-Math-Phys Library (Braunstein Hall)
The Collab features:
- 2 high-end workstations with LARGE dual monitors (36” each) at each setting
- Specialized software, including ARCGIS, MATLAB & more to come
- 3-D mouse available on request
- Help with GIS and data analysis projects
- Ample work spaces for collaboration
- Whiteboards for creative thinking
Summer consultant hours: Mon 12-4, Tue 11-3, Wed 12-4, Thu 11-3, Fri 12-4
Contact AskGIS@uc.edu to reserve the Collab or to schedule a consultation