PreK-12 Teachers and Homeschoolers
The CECH Library is home to the collections and services that support the University of Cincinnati K-12 undergraduate and graduate teacher education programs. It also serves the educational needs of local in-service teachers and local homeschoolers.
Below are answers to many of the commonly asked questions about how local in-service teachers and homeschoolers can utilize the CECH Library's resources. (If you have any further questions, please call the CECH Library at 513-556-1430.)
What kinds of pre K-12 curriculum resources can I check out?
What kinds of Professional Education materials can I check out?
How do I check out materials?
What is the loan period?
Can I produce instructional materials in the CECH Library?
Does the CECH Library sell supplies?
How do I know what is available to be checked out?
What are the CECH Library's hours?
Who can I contact for additional information?
What are the directions to the CECH Library?
Where do I park once I get to the UC campus?
The CECH Library has a variety of material types covering most curriculum topics, particularly for language arts and reading, mathematics, science and social studies for all grade levels. These materials consist of audiobooks, bulletin board kits, activity card sets, charts, DVDs, games, kits, maps, models, puppets, pictures, and posters.
- K – 12 Textbooks
There are over 12,600 K – 12 textbooks including student books, teacher’s editions and other ancillary materials from major textbook publishers. (These are available for in-house use only.)
- PreK – 12 Teacher Handbooks (teaching activities books)
The CECH Library has over 3700 books filled with teaching/learning activities and lesson plans covering all curriculum areas for preschool through twelfth grade.
- Children’s and Young Adult books/videos/audiobooks/kits
You will find over 16,000 children’s and young adult books. These include many nonfiction or information books on all curriculum topics as well as children’s novels, fairy tales, folklore, biographies, poetry, and a large picture/easy reading book section. There are many young adult fiction books also.
Other online resources:
- Teaching Activities and Lesson Plans on the Web
- Curriculum Standards
- Curriculum Resources
- UC Science Fair: Finding Resources and Documenting Sources
The CECH Library houses a large collection of circulating professional education books that assist in-service teachers and homeschool teachers in the areas of assessment, classroom management, behavioral issues and much more. In addition, the CECH Library's reference collection is available for in-house use.
You will find a large selection of education related print journals. Digital copies for some of these titles, along with other educational journals, are available through our databases and can be accessed through Langsam's public terminals.
For research purposes, the following education related databases are available: ERIC, Education Abstracts, Professional Development Collection, PsycINFO and Dissertation Abstracts. These can be accessed only at Langsam's public terminals.
CECH Library staff have created online guides on a range of education topics such as: special education, early childhood education, and teaching STEM related topics. Many of the websites listed on these guides are free to anyone.
- Go to the CECH Library's Circulation Desk
- Identify yourself as an in-service teacher or homeschooler
- Present current Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County library card (must be in good standing).
“Prof Ed” Books (3 week loan; 3 renewals)
Children’s & Young Adult Books (3 week loan; 2 renewals)
Teacher Handbooks (3 week loan; 2 renewals)
Curriculum Guides (3 week loan; 2 renewals)
K-12 Textbooks (in-house use only)
- Audiovisual Media (2 week loan; 2 renewals)
Note: 5 concurrent item check out limit (this means only 5 items can be checked out at any given time.)
Yes, many kinds of instructional materials can be produced in the CECH Library "do it yourself" Media Production Lab. This facility provides equipment for producing the following:
- Scanning Images
- Producing overhead transparencies (black on clear and color)
- Laminating materials
- Making cutouts of objects for bulletin boards and learning activities with an assorted collection of Die-Cut Blocks an an electronic Die-Cut machine
- Spiral Binding
Supplies can be purchased in the Media Production Lab for making the above materials. However we do not accept cash. We only accept Bearcat Cards for purchasing supplies such as:
- Laminating film and pouches
- Clear acetate (for write-on transparencies) as well as thermal transparency film (for black on clear transparencies).
- Film for producing color transparencies via a color laser printer
- Construction paper, poster board and bulletin board paper
- Hook n' Loop tape (like Velcro) and magnetic tape for making visual board materials
- Spiral binding combs
- Blank videotapes, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and DVDs
The cards can be purchased at MainStreet Connection Center, Tangeman University Center, Level 3 (513-556-2000). The card costs a $1.00 and you can add money to it as needed.
To find CECH Library's materials on a given curriculum topic, do the following:
- Go to the Library Catalog
- Enter the search keyword(s), such as weather or George Washington, in the search box
- In the 'Add Limits' box change the Location option to 'CECH' and click submit
Check the UC Libraries Hours Webpage for an up to date schedule.
Please contact a CECH library staff member or the main CECH library desk at 513-556-1307.
For directions and maps please see UC Maps/Directions. Driving directions and parking information are provided near the bottom of the page.
The closest parking option is along Clifton Avenue (metered parking). On campus parking information can be found on the UC Parking Services site.