We, the information professionals of the University of Cincinnati Libraries, hold ourselves to the highest standards of work performance, research, quality service and respect for each other and for the diversity of our community. We practice the following in pursuit of our mission and vision.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We value, celebrate and promote diversity, equity & inclusion in our workforce and in the communities we serve. Our services, resources and collections reflect the diversity of the world and highlight marginalized and previously unseen communities.
- Allyship - We are allies. We recognize the obligation to understand, recognize and use our privilege to benefit those who lack it. We utilize our resources to create opportunities for empowerment and learning and to advocate for creative ways to embrace differences and stand in solidarity against unfair practices to all marginalized groups. We act and intervene.
- Lead – We are leaders on campus and in the library profession, guiding initiatives that advance the academic pursuits of students, faculty, researchers, scholars and library colleagues.
- Partner & Collaborate – We partner and work collaboratively with students, faculty, researchers and community and professional organizations to include diverse skill sets and perspectives in connecting and enabling all users to achieve their greatest potential in their academic pursuits.
- Learn – We are seekers of new knowledge and skills that empower us in changing the current and future library landscape.
- Teach – We impart knowledge. Every member of UC Libraries is a teacher, guiding the university community in utilizing library resources, increasing the information literacy of our users and advancing the skill sets of ourselves and our colleagues.
- Build & Steward – We collect, provide, protect and preserve the scholarly record and intellectual output of the university and community of scholars as we responsibly manage the scholarly record, library collections and research data of the university.
- Innovate & Explore – We seek new, creative and cutting-edge practices, workflows and technologies to deliver library services, collections and programs to users anytime and anywhere. We try new things, embrace change, take risks, and when necessary, change and modify course in pursuit of our mission.
- Thrive – We seek to enhance the quality of life for everyone with whom we connect. We seek to bring well being and stability to ourselves and to our community of learners. We actively demonstrate unity and respect to our colleagues, faculty, students, researchers and scholars worldwide as we work with each other.
- Transform – We embrace our mission, vision and tenets as our guideposts as we work to transform ourselves, the library landscape and the teaching, clinical and research endeavors of the university.
We adhere to the principles set forth by the American Library Association's Code of Ethics in our daily work and interactions with researchers and scholars and through compliance with all state, national and international laws that govern patron records, open access to information, copyright and licensing of information.