The following is a partial list of the holdings of the archival collections of the Winkler Center:
Became an Edward Wendland Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics, as well as Director of the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, at the UC College of Medicine in 1948. He served in these positions until 1975, when he retired as Emeritus Edward Wendland Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics. His research over the years led to the usage of ganglionic blockers in the treatment of hypertension; he also created a national reputation at UC in the field of cardiac and cardiovascular research.
Aring, Charles Dair, MD, George H., MD (1904-1998) 9 linear feet
Internationally known neurologist, Dr. Aring began his career at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1919 at the age of 15 when he was hired as an "office boy" by Dean Bachmeyer. He graduated from the College of Medicine in 1929 and became the first resident to train in neuropsychiatry in Cincinnati. During his career, he formed two neurology departments, one at the University of California and the other at the University of Cincinnati where he served as professor and department chairman from 1948 to 1974.
Became Chair of Physiology and Pathology of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. He then became Chair of Practice until 1857 when he moved to Dayton, OH. He was known first and foremost as an extraordinary teacher of medicine.
Became research associate of ophthalmology at the UC College of Medicine in 1939. He went on to serve as Assistant professor of Ophthalmology (1949), Associate professor of Research Ophthalmology (1952), Associate Professor of Ophthalmology (1956), and Associate Professor Emeritus of Ophthalmology (1959). He is best known for his research on the ocular aspects of vitamin deficiencies and his discovery of the aqueous veins.
Bachmeyer, Arthur C., MD (1886-1953) 3 linear feet
1911 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Worked at modernizing hospital administration, as well as establishing educational criteria and standards for training hospital administrators. During his time in Cincinnati, he served as Assistant Superintendent of the Cincinnati General Hospital (1913-14) and as Dean of UC College of Medicine (1925-34).
“Edison of Medicine”. He is most well-known as the inventor of the Clark electrode, a device used for measuring oxygen in blood, water and other liquids. Dr. Clark is considered the "Father of Biosensors", and the modern-day glucose sensor used daily by millions of diabetics is based on his research.
1923 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Served as Assistant Professor of Medicine at UC from 1926 to 1930 then became associate professor in 1930. From 1940 to 1962, he was Dean of the UC College of Medicine. He also served as chief of staff of the Cincinnati General Hospital.
Founder of the UC College of Medicine. He graduated from the medical school of the University of Pennsylvania in 1815, and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he became known as a physician and writer. In 1820 he organized the Medical College of Ohio in Cincinnati and secured a State appropriation for its support and that of a hospital. In 1827 he founded the Western Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences, which he continued to edit until 1848. In 1846 he was one of the founding members of the Ohio State Medical Society. He was connected, either as a lecturer or professor, at different times, with Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, the University of Louisville, and Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1935 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Served residencies in Pathology and Radiology at Cincinnati General Hospital. He became Assistant Professor of Radiology at UC in 1945 and continued on as a faculty member until his retirement, serving as Chief of Radiology from 1951 to 1973. In 1983, he was named Professor Emeritus of Radiology, and in 1987, UC established the Benjamin Felson Chair.
Became Professor of Physiology at the Ohio-Miami Medical College from 1910 to 1916, at which time his title transferred over to the newly established UC College of Medicine. Famous for his oratory and lecturing skills, he designed his lecture hall to resemble a 15th Century Italian apothecary shop, complete with stained-glass windows. Upon his retirement, these artifacts were donated to the Center.
UC Alumnus. Pioneer in establishing orthopedic surgery as a specialty in this part of the county. He was a faculty member of the Ohio Medical College until 1938, when he became Professor Emeritus of Orthopedic Surgery. He was also a proponent to the merger of the Medical College of Ohio and the Miami Medical College into today's College of Medicine at UC.
1890 Alumnus. Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. He was a professor of obstetrics at the UC College of medicine and worked in close coordination with his uncle, Dr. Thaddeus Asbury Reamy. He also became president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1908.
Goldman, Leon, MD (1905-1997) 8 linear feet
29 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Performed his residency at Cincinnati General Hospital, where he later became the first resident dermatologist at the hospital and faculty member in the department of medicine and dermatology. He served as Chief of Dermatology and Professor starting in 1947. He is internationally renowned for his work with laser dermatology, which he began in 1961 and is known as the "Father of Laser Medicine."
1924 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Interned at the Cincinnati General hospital from 1924 to 1925. He practiced surgery for 50 years in Cincinnati, serviing some of this time as Director of Surgery at Deaconess Hospital and as President of the Cincinnati Surgical Society. He gave the first intravaneous anesthetic to a patient in Cincinnati.
He came to the University of Cincinnati in 1919 with the support of Dr. Christian R. Holmes. He served in the UC Dept. of Otolaryngology for a total of 68 years working as full professor and chairman for the team 1946-1960. He also served as ENT Department Director of Children's Hospital; consultant at Children's Convalescent Home and attending Otolaryngologist/Chief of medical staff at Christ Hospital. In addition, he also served as vice-president of the American Laryngological Society, as well as co-founder and later president of the Cincinnati Otological Society.
1897 Alumnus, Miami Medical College. Practiced in Troy, Ohio, and later in Cincinnati with his father, Dr. Rufus B. Hall. He became Chief Surgeon of the Ohio National Guard during World War I.
Completed his residency at Cincinnati General Hospital in 1938, when he joined the faculty of the UC College of Medicine. In 1956 he became Assistant Director of Internal Medicine and in 1958 he became Professor of Medicine. He is well known for his research of infectious diseases.
Became chair of Materia Medica at the Medical Department of Cincinnati College in 1835 until the school was abandoned in 1839. In 1841, he joined the faculty of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, where he served as professor of Materia Medica, theory, and practice until his death. He also served as vice-president of the American Medical Association in 1849.
Heidt, Robert S., MD 8 linear feet
As a 1943 graduate of UC at age 18, Robert Heidt was the university’s youngest graduate at the time. He founded Wellington Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine in Cincinnati, one of the largest such groups in the U.S. He performed the first total hip replacement surgery in Cincinnati. His collection includes professional papers and correspondence and a large number of early orthopedic instruments.
Heimlich, Henry J., MD 120 linear feet
Best known for the development of the life-saving technique the “Heimlich maneuver,” Dr. Heimlich joined the staff of the University of Cincinnati in 1969 as an Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery. He is credited with performing the world’s first successful organ transplant and is the inventor of the Heimlich Micro-Trach, the Heimlich lung valve as well as other medical instruments. The Henry J. Heimlich collection contains correspondence, notes, photographs and other items from throughout Dr. Heimlich’s illustrious and sometimes controversial career.
Heuer, George Julius, MD (1881-1950) 1 linear foot
He was a master surgeon, one of the very few to be equally proficient in neurologic, thoracic and general surgery. Appointed the first Christian R. Holmes Professor of Surgery at UC in 1922, he established the first resident training program in surgery at the Cincinnati General Hospital in 1923.
1882 Alumnus, Miami Medical College. Completed internship and residency at the Cincinnati Hospital and began working at the hospital in 1886. He was the driving force behind creating the integration of teaching hospital and medical school in Cincinnati. In 1914, his efforts yielded the highly modern and reorganized Cincinnati General Hospital and he was elected dean of the College of Medicine in order to see his efforts toward re-vamping the school come to fruition. After working tirelessly at raising funds for the new school, he lived to see it open in 1918. The Christian R. Holmes hospital, next to the old medical school building, was dedicated in his honor in 1928.
Held the positions of Professor of Pharmacology and Edward Wendland professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics from 1918 to 1948. In 1948, he became Professor Emeritus of pharmacology. He is well known for his research in anesthesia and his development of the closed system of anesthesia with carbon dioxide absorption. In addition, he developed and invented many instruments, pieces of equipment, and experimental procedures dealing with the field of anesthesia.
Distinguished University Professor, George and Elizabeth Wile Chair in Cancer Research at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine's Vontz Center for Molecular Studies. In 2004 he received the Albert Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research for his research on estrogen receptors. His studies on estrogenic hormones revolutionized the understanding of how steroid hormones work, and in doing so he made a major contribution to the treatment of breast cancer.
Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati 80 linear feet
Collection consists of various hospital records spanning from 1912 to 1980. The archives include photographs, architectural drawings, reports, trustee minutes, by-laws, annual reports and other documents.
1920 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Completed his residency in pathology at Cincinnati General Hospital, worked as a pathologist at Cincinnati General Hospital, then at Jewish Hospital until 1924. He served in the Physiology Dept. at UC, as well as the Dept. of Occupational Medicine, Preventive Medicine, and Industrial Health during the course of his career. His is best known for his support of the anti-knock addictive for car and plane fuel. In 1930, he founded the UC Kettering Laboratory of Applied Physiology, the first university -based laboratory devoted to toxicological problems peculiar to industry. He became Professor Emeritus of Occupational Medicine at UC upon his retirement. (See Kehoe finding aid)
A native Cincinnatian, Levine earned his undergraduate and master’s degrees from UC and his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University, where he served residencies. He returned to UC’s psychiatry department before doing further training and becoming a faculty member at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. Levine was one of the first psychoanalytically trained psychiatrists in the country to be appointed as a department chair. As well as being deeply involved in local and national professional activities, he was also committed to the Cincinnati community. He was the first administrator at the former Cincinnati General Hospital (now University Hospital) to desegregate his wards and the first to appoint a black resident. His determination to keep psychiatry in the mainstream of daily life made Cincinnati a model in the field of community psychiatry. (See Levine finding aid)
Performed his surgical residency at the Cincinnati General Hospital and practices plastic & reconstructive surgery starting in 1946. Because the director of the plastic surgery department at both Christ and Bethesda Hospitals, as well as associate clinical professor of surgery at UC. He also served in various capacities on the staff of the Good Samaritan, Veterans Administrative, and St. Luke Hospitals in the Cincinnati area.
1925 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Performed his pediatrics residency at the Cincinnati General Hospital. He taught pediatrics at UC for 48 years, eventually becoming Emeritus professor of Pediatrics. He founded or helped to found the following group in the Cincinnati area, the Division of Neonatology at the Cincinnati General Hospital, the Children's Heart Association, the Children's Dental Care Foundation, the Child Health Association, the Adolescent Clinic of the Children's Hospital Medical Center, the Cincinnati Health & Science Museum (now part of the Natural History Museum), and various rural cardiac clinics in Southwestern Ohio.
1936 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Faculty member and administrator at the VA Medical Center, Cincinnati, from 1965 to 1980. He was also medical director of the American Red Cross in Cincinnati and the first president of the nation's first organized group of general physicians, the Cincinnati Society of General Physicians. He was a recipient of the Daniel Drake Award from the Southwestern Ohio Society of General Physicians.
1922 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Became Associate Professor of Medicine at UC in 1928, and then Professor of Experimental medicine in 1930, a position he held until his retirement in 1962. He is best known for his research on the effects of air pollution and climate on health, and his efforts led to the first smoke laws invoked in Cincinnati in 1946.
Brother of Dr. Clarence A. Mills, who practiced medicine in the small town of Wall, South Dakota, for over 50 years and also served 22 years as a representative in the South Dakota House of Representatives.
Accepted a position as Professor of Surgery at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, in 1838. He then accepted the Chair of Surgery at Miami medical college in 1852. In addition, he was a founder and president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1857, as well as being elected the fourth president of the AMA in 1850.
1865 Alumnus of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. Became Professor of Anatomy at that college in 1865, then chair of chemistry and pharmacy in 1869 and finally Professor of Materia Medica from 1874 until his retirement in 1898. He also served as President of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1885.
Became the professor of obstetrics, gynecology and pediatrics at the Medial College of Ohio, Cincinnati, in 1871. He was also elected president of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati in 1881. He was a pioneer of obstetrics and in 1874 he established the first Women's Hospital west of the Allegheny Mountains in Cincinnati. The hospital was later to be absorbed by Bethesda Hospital. His efforts also led to the first combined residency of obstetrics and gynecology in Cincinnati, as well as the first successful obstetric clinic in the country.
Professor Emeritus of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics at the University of Cincinnati Winkle College of Pharmacy and Adjunct Professor of Pharmacology at the College of Medicine. He was internationally renowned for his scientific contributions in pharmacokinetics, a discipline that studies the distribution and disposition of drugs in the human body and was the author of the pioneering “Handbook of Basic Pharmacokinetics.” Dr. Ritschel was indeed a true “Renaissance Man” with remarkable career accomplishments in science and art. His artwork includes unique assembly sculptures of medical, and scientific themes using of discarded stainless-steel medical instruments and stained-glass elements.
Researcher and scientist best known for his discovery of the live polio vaccine. His work is documented in over 350 scientific papers, and includes research on pneumonia, encephalitis, toxoplasmosis, viruses, sandfly fever, dengue and cancer. Winner of the Lasker Prize.
1934 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. He interned for one year at the Cincinnati General Hospital, then was a surgical resident the next 6 years under such noted surgeons as Dr. Mont Reid. He stayed at UC as a faculty member, rising to the positions of Assistant professor of Surgery in 1943 and Professor of Surgery in 1961. He also helped found the Mont Reid Surgical Society and was its president from 1960 to 1963.
1921 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. Completed his internship and residency at the Cincinnati General Hospital. He worked as a staff physician for the Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati form 1925 to 1937 at which time he joined the faculty of UC and progressed from Assistant to Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine. He received a Fellowship form the American College of Physicians in 1934 and board certification in Internal Medicine in 1937. His greatest field of endeavor was diabetes, and in 1941, he founded and became the first president of the American Diabetes Association. In addition, he served as President of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati (1951-1952), President of the Ohio Society of Medical History (1960), and the presiding officer of the UC College of Medicine Alumnal Association (1961).
1909 Alumnus, Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati. He established and served as Director of the Dept. of Pediatrics at Good Samaritan Hospital. He also served as Director of the Premature Department at Cincinnati General Hospital and as Associate Professor of Pediatrics at UC. He also served as President of the Cincinnati Pediatric Society. He was an international expert on croup and premature birth.
1915 Alumnus, UC College of Medicine. During his career in Cincinnati, he served as Professor of Medicine at UC, President of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati and also President of the Medical Staff and Director of Internal Medicine at Jewish Hospital. He was a co-founder of the Society of Internal Medicine of Cincinnati. His archives collection includes patient records of veterans who served in WWI.
Pathologist who discovered the disease tularemia. He came to Cincinnati as Assistant Professor of Pathology in 1909, becoming full Professor of Bacteriology in 1912. Wherry Hall was dedicated at the UC Medical Center in his honor in 1957.
1867 Alumnus of the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati. Became professor of physiology at that college in 1870, the professor of clinical medicine in 1871. Finally, he was professor of practice from 1879 until his death in 1900. Some of his greatest efforts dealt with research of the disease tuberculosis, and he was the first American student of the famous German physician/scientist Dr. Robert Koch.
Helped revitalize hospitals throughout Ohio to incorporate a more advanced and humane system of caring for the insane. He became Professor of Materia Medica at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati in 1838. He served as chair of Obstetrics at that institution from 1840 to 1850; then again from 1860 to 1868 at which time he became an emeritus professor at his own request. He served on the Ohio State Medical Society committee of Medical Ethics in 1854 and was well known for his integrity and principles. He served as Dean of the College of Medicine the following terms 1842-1843, 1847-1848, 1860-1862 and 1867-1869.